January 04, 2010

A Great and Terrible Beauty

It's been a while since I last posted. I haven't done much cooking lately because of the holidays, although my kitchen now has a food processor, a blender, and a crock pot, so...look forward to new food posts soon. The holidays kept me pretty busy - my cousins were here from Louisiana with their children and two of my best friends were in town, so I was keeping busy. Then I came down with some kind of virus that left me feeling awful for a few days...which meant that I did a lot of reading.



On Christmas, my sisters Colleen and Maggie gave me the Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray. I couldn't put these books down! The series takes place in Victorian England and revolves around a 16-year-old girl named Gemma Doyle who finds out that she has special powers. I loved the characters, and Libba Bray wrote some fantastic dialogue throughout the three books as well.

According to Wikipedia, the first book was going to be turned into a movie but the production company decided against it. I'm crossing my fingers that someone else will pick up the project, because I'd love to see this on screen!

No comments: