August 14, 2010

Life Update and Buffalo Burgers!

It's been quite some time since I last updated this, and quite a bit has happened in my life since then. A quick review:

In late May, I celebrated my 5 year anniversary at my last job, and I started working one date a week for my family. In late June, I made the switch to working full-time for my family. It was a total change of pace and I really love working for my family.

In July I went out to Montana to visit my best friend for a few days. I think I ate more meat in my three days there than I usually eat in an entire month! I had 3 different kinds of pulled pork and I got to try buffalo. I had a buffalo patty melt and I had buffalo meatloaf. They were so good!

I've been back home for about a month ago. One of my friends on a different blog site posted a recipe for Moroccan turkey burgers a few days ago, and it made me start craving a burger. So tonight, I had this for dinner:


This is a cheese-stuffed buffalo burger and potato hash. I seasoned the meat with a mixture of cumin, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and 2 different chili powders. I then formed 4 burgers, each using about a quarter pound of meat, around some Pepper Jack cheese. I put them on a cooling rack nestled into a cookie sheet and cooked them in the oven. When there were only a few more minutes left to cook, I added some more cheese to the top (what can I say, I really like cheese!). I used a mutli-grain burger roll and some spicy salsa to finish things up.

The hash was made with garlic, jalapeno, baby Yukon Gold potatoes, and the leftover spice mixture from the burgers. I started by pre-cooking the garlic with some olive oil and them added everything else in. I cooked the potatoes on medium heat, covered, for about 15 minutes.

The burger wasn't quite as cooked as I usually like them (I'm a well-done kind of girl, and this was still slightly pink), but it was definitely edible and the others will cook up a bit more during the reheat. Overall though, I think it was a pretty good meal.

I'm going to try to post more often, since I know I've really been slacking. At the very least, you can expect a post about buffalo meatloaf later on this week!

No comments: